Sunday, March 8, 2015

Synchronicity

The overall message I took away from this chapter is to make your own luck. Of course, as artist, we train and practice and (for dancers) keep ourselves in shape unknowingly staying ready for that opportunity to come. I remember a teacher saying "Stay ready. You've only got one shot!". I like to think of every opportunity as one shot so that I push myself that much more. I can recall more than one situation where synchronicity had a huge part to play in my being able to participate in the opportunity. One happened just recently.
My friend Jeremy and I had booked an audition for a movie. Jeremy has a very friendly personality. His social skills surpass mine in almost every way, hahaha, yet he has the ability to make everybody around him feel comfortable and have fun. I'm explaining his characteristics because he ha a huge part to play in this. Jeremy started talking to another dancer from Atlanta that he follows on Instagram, introducing himself and myself. The next week, all dances who were apart of the film met up for a 6 hour rehearsal. Since Jeremy was riding with me, he asked if we could stay longer because a group of dancers from Atlanta had invited us to apart of their video they were making. I said it was cool.
We all went to the hotel they were staying at and learned the choreography. It wasn't until the end that I realized they were going to film this on Burbon Street. That's when I realized that I stepped into an opportunity that I was unaware of. Because of taking a chance and staying longer, I was able to film choreography with professional dancers on Burbon. I made some connections and got my face out there for others to see, all the while having fun.
I can honestly say that if it wasn't for Jeremy's personality, the opportunity may have come later and I would missed out this season.
Another opportunity presented itself when the Super Bowl was held in New Orleans. I was dancing non stop with my team Legacy at the time. By word of mouth, through the Saintsations and Honybees  (now called Pelicans) that Beyonce was looking for local dancers to be apart of her performance.
Legacy had decided that we were going to audition as a group, but no one ever did anything or got
together to try to do anything. I told myself that I refused to let this opportunity pass me by. After reading the guidelines of the auditioning process, I put together a routine, asked a friend to help film me, and sent it in. I was making affirmations everyday afterward, saying "If anybody from Baton Rouge, Louisiana is going to dance in the 2013 Super Bowl, it's going to be me!" I said that everyday. Of course my heart grew faint at times, but I kept speaking my faith even after already activating it by auditioning.
I received an email that I had been chosen only to go for another round of auditions. After making it passed two rounds, the process of preparing for the show began. I got to meet some of my favorite professional dancers, meet Beyonce's choreographer,  and perform in my very first Super Bowl halftime show! Because of preparation and affirmation, I made my own luck a was ready when the opportunity presented itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment