Hello blooming artist! This is coming from an alum of theatre wishing you a fulfilling experience at the Louisiana State University Theare Dept. You're going to find that the atmosphere is, most often, energetic and there' always something going on (if not academically, there's SOMETHING to do). You're going to be surrounded by a lot of people who have a vast understanding of theatre and information surrounding the arts, and I'm not just talking about the professors. I'm writing this to you to let you know that you're going to have a good time and, if not, you're going gain something from this. Following is advice that I wish I would've gotten or would've taken from someone.
When I first came to the university, I didn't know what to expect or what I was doing. I transferred to the department when I changed majors after freshman year. Had I transferred earlier, I would've had much better guidance. As a theatre student, you have your own advisor. She's awesome. Ask as many questions as possible. Nothing's made me feel so confused as when I didn't know what was going on. The more you know and understand, the better your experience. Allie C. is her name and she's amazing. She really down to earth, doesn't make you feel silly, but will be that push and mentor when it's time to be. The more you let her know, ask questions, and listen to her, the better she'll help you.
After you ask those questions and you get all the info you need, be sure to schedule your time well. Know when you need to do what. There's going to come a time in the semester where things are going pile up and it's not going to be just school. You're going to be doing things outside of class. It may be work, a party, family event, concert, fundraiser, etc. Somehow semesters have a formula to them where everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, will all be done in the same week if not day and the day afterwards. It's not wishing you negative energy, it's just apart of college life. It's good feel like death sometimes, hahaha, but if my forgetful ass can do it, I know you can! Schedule and manage! It'll only help. I had a habit of carrying a planner around, but if you don't find yourself looking at it very often, buy a big one so you have no choice but to look.
Go to forum ( don't swipe and leave too often). If you feel it's getting too pointless or they're constantly taking about things that don't relate to what you're doing, go to forum and stay for at least one. There's information in there somewhere for you. I'm not going to tell you to go all the time and stay, because let's face it, you're going to figure out how leave. Yet, it's important for you to stay involved. Get involved and stay involved. They have said this at orientation and S. T. R. I. P. E. S.
That's how you connect with people and get comfortable. There were times that I felt I had nothing to do and it was because I didn't stay involved. When a group of classmates invite you to go out, go! How will you ever get to know anyone if you don't participate? Of course, if they're doing something you don't agree with, do participate, but ifs like a movie, a kickback, going to see play, or anything relating to comraderie, go and participate. It'll help you make friends and feel like you have more to do than just school. Manage your time, of course.
Last thing. This is hard for me still, but it's worth the practice. Save money. That's it. If you have a friend that's has paw points and are trying to get rid of them, be good to that friend help them ;). Books and supplies will take most of it in the beginning, so do all you can to save money.
I wish a wonderful time! Tiger town is the town to be in. You'll be proud to be one.
No comments:
Post a Comment